1. A prestigious research company based in Ghana, Global InfoAnalytics, on April 12, 2023, published the report of a comprehensive opinion poll it conducted apropos of the generality of Ghanaians’ choice of the flag bearer of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) for the 2024 general elections.
2. This year’s flagbearership contest of the NPP, as announced by the zealous young general secretary of the party, to come off further on in the year, more than ever, is one of colossal significance to the party and to the development of our country. This is the main reason why various considerations for the election of the presidential candidate of the party should supplant those of personal sentiments and concerns emerging from the prevailing camps within the party.
3. As we endeavour to, for the first time in our Fourth Republican history, end the nemesis of the eight-year governance cycle of Ghana, we must, but remain obsequious to the expectations of the good people of Ghana as regards the next leader of our party. This is the only means to give substance to our slogan, “Breaking the eight.”
4. In consequence of the foregoing, party delegates must be guided and informed by the work of genuine pollsters that reflect the expectations of the overwhelming majority of our grassroots and Ghanaians in general.
5. Succinctly, page 62 of the 102-page report predicts a run-off election between the erstwhile Minister of Trade and Industry, Mr. Alan John Kwadwo Kyerematen and the Vice President, H. E. Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia, with the former leading with 57% as against the latter’s 43%. This prediction is acceptable with absolute certainty as it confirms the sentiments increasingly expressed by the party’s grassroots in recent times!
6. What do these projections conclude about the suitability of each of the two fine gentlemen forecast to lead the flagbearership race, one of whom will eventually succeed H.E. Akufo-Addo at the Jubilee House in 2025?
7. The vice president of our Republic, H.E. Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia, the youngest so far in our history, in the year 2008, was appointed a running mate of H. E. Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, then our party’s presidential candidate .
8. His display of sound knowledge in economics and finance was incontrovertible. However, six years in government as the head of the economic management team, Dr. Bawumia has discredited himself with his unexcused failure to stabilize the cedi, reduce the cost of living for Ghanaians, and abolish nuisance taxes, among other unfulfilled lofty campaign pledges to Ghanaians. His leading, therefore, spells doom for the NPP, going into the 2024 general elections.
9. The distinguished delegates of the NPP, who represent various spectrum of the country, must heed the calls of Ghanaians for an unblemished political figure to lead the NPP and subsequently head the next government of Ghana. Such a person is none than Mr. Alan John Kwadwo Kyerematen.
10. Alan John Kwadwo Kyerematen is a man of unassailable integrity and great political sagacity. Having served on sensitive and critical international and regional political bodies and organisations, the enormity of experience he brings to bear on the governance of our country is extremely remarkable. With his several years of involvement in local politics, Alan demonstrates a broad-guage understanding of the political culture of our country and will transform the Ghanaian political culture to catalyse industrialisation, economic growth and stability.
11. Ghana, at present, requires such an industrialist with huge regional and global exposure and varying degrees of proficiency to deal conclusively with our intermittent economic challenges.
Dr. Joseph Kwadwo Danquah
Assistant Professor of Human Capital Development, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship
Bradford University, United Kingdom.